Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Podcast Reflection #3: Tech Chicks Tips 004

In the podcast the Tech Chick had two main topics.
1. How to use your students pictures and fun and exciting ways
2. the problems firewalls cause for teachers and students

I really liked the ideas that the women came up with for the pictures. You can take a standard picture of your student and use that picture in the classroom. It can be a productivity chart, a behavior chart, a way to see who does what in the classroom and a way for substitutes to keep track of students. I really liked this idea although I probably won't be able to use this personally. High school students don't generally like bright signs with their faces on them. It makes me think of different ways that i could keep my classroom organized.

The portion about firewalls in school really related to me. I know all to well the crap teachers have to go through to be able to show their students online content. I had teachers who would find Youtube videos relating to class, at first they could use a password to get through to these sites, but eventually the district didn't want to give ANYONE access. I still remember when I was trying to do a photography project and i wanted to find an outline of a butterfly to stencil. The computer blocked my search,
"You are are trying to gain unauthorized or inappropriate content: BUTT."
It thought I was searching for butts! These problems and problems like them need to go away. Districts need to learn that they are impeding learning, not protecting students.

I went to their website to learn more about them. Listen to these women. They know their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment